[AusNOG] Juniper vs Cisco vs Brocade - what's best for BGP routing?

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Wed Dec 11 17:03:13 EST 2013

Andrew,

There is a bunch of criteria you need to define before figuring out what
hardware you want.

Things like;

1. How critical is the connectivity
2. Throughput
3. Risk Aversion
4. Number of Upstreams and downstreams (if any)
5. Other feature requirements if equipment has dual purpose (MPLS, etc etc)
6. Budgets
7. Skills available for in-house support
8. Industry Focus

and quite a few others.

Without these, people are going to throw mostly biased opinions your way on
their experiences and what has worked for them.  You will get the Vyatta,
Cisco, Juniper, Brocade people... and even Microtik lovers (poke!).

Most experience is valid, but very subjective and most likely doesn't aline
up with anything related to what you want to do.

Figure out your requirements... and rate them in order of importance.

For example... Cost, Speed, Reliability - pick 2.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call