[AusNOG] Juniper vs Cisco vs Brocade - what's best for BGP routing?

Andrew White admin at uberskilled.com
Wed Dec 11 16:46:00 EST 2013

Hey guys,

I've recently set up my own AS and I'm looking at broadcasting my own BGP.
I'm wanting to find some decent hardware at a reasonable price to do so.

The same router will also run my servers (about 50 VMs/3 physical boxes)
and have to deal with multiple upstream providers (two currently, but more
to come at my DC).

I also want something that can hold a big BGP routing table.

When I was first getting into networking, Cisco was "the big thing". Now I
look at the market and Junipers seem really common for the cheaper end of
the market. I've seen Brocades too - I think they may be out of my price
range, but I'm not sure if they're worth the money or if there's a huge
benefit.

I've been tossing up over a few Huawei models which are really, really
cheap!

I don't know a ton about the hardware side of things and I'm sure there are
others on the list with a similar level of knowledge to me. I'm happy for
any vendor contacts, and I'm sure replies on list would be appreciated for
other people to learn about this too!

Thanks guys!

Andrew