[AusNOG] IPv6: Vocus connects to the 'Other' side of the Australian Internet via IPv6 within Australia.

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Aug 22 17:44:32 EST 2013

On Aug 22, 2013, at 2:26 PM, Sean K. Finn <sean.finn at ozservers.com.au> wrote:

> So I guess the general consensus is that we’re going to take IPv6 seriously in this country after all?

I thought we already were.

To anyone who wants to dip their toe in the water:  SAGE-AU is just getting started with
a scheme whereby they'll provide an LOA for a /48 assignment out of 2406:c500::/32 to
each and every member, so they can announce it as they see fit.

/48's are likely to be accepted more or less everywhere.  If you're a network operator and
you're not accepting them, have a good hard look at yourself and ask why.

If you're an Australian ISP with IPv6 capabilities and SAGE-AU members as customers,
you can probably expect to start seeing requests for prefix announcements "soon."  Use
it as an opportunity to get your technology and processes sorted out in cooperation with
a pool of tech-savvy willing-victim experimental customers who might not mind the odd
bit of missing around if you happen to break something during a change.

If you're an Internode user with a Business pack, they should be able to route your /48 in
addition to the 2001:44b8: prefix they provide with the service, so you'll be able to see
how the world looks in a world where your machines stateless-autoconfig on multiple
prefixes.  If non-Internode ISPs can offer feature-parity or feature-superiority with that,
that'll be just grand :-)

Come on in, the water is fine.

  - mark