[AusNOG] OOB Console - What are people using?

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Wed Aug 21 10:37:40 EST 2013

On 21/08/2013, at 9:25 AM, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> Now, while I initially thought of the Avocent (Emerson) ACS 16 porter... they are like $2k... which I think is a little expensive.

OpenGear. Their product is solid, the tech support is really easy to deal with, you don't have to buy a support contract, its Linux based so its easy to get under the hood, overnight shipping.

I've used the little 4 port 5004G with 3G, and the IM4200 for bigger data centres with PSTN. Keen to take a look at the new model (I think its IM7200?) that has software selectable cable pinouts.

The other neat trick is they have a Nagios plugin and NRPE onboard that monitors DTR, so you know when somebody unplugs your console - "Its just a console its not important", "I'll borrow this cable", etc.

Rgds,

- I.