[AusNOG] OOB Console - What are people using?

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Wed Aug 21 09:43:14 EST 2013

We did something like this for a long time. We used a bunch of Cisco
2500's with 2 octacables. (handy because they plug directly into console
ports without a rollover) 2500's are also  cheap on ebay. We did trade
this method in  some time ago for a Supermicro appliance type 1RU Atom
PC with SSD disk running linux and a ADSL modem.  It then spans out via
USB to multiple rack mounted 16 port USB Serial adapters.  (there's
heaps of different brands on google) This is easily expandable with a
USB hub to multiple 16 port Units.  The Unit's we have are called
S1600-RU's but I cant seem to find them any more there's a lot of brands
that appear the same. They are FTDI based.

Matt.

On 21/08/13 9:25 AM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I am setting up an Out-Of-Band for a customer at a couple of datacentres.
>
> The kit being accessed is Cisco, Juniper, Checkpoint and some HP C7000
> Chassis.
>
> I am thinking a DSL service into a Juniper SRX110 with an Avocent
> ACS5000/16port.
>
> This would give the ability to ssh, telnet, VPN into the SRX and then
> either IP to devices or the serial console server which then consoles
> into all the connected equipment.
>
> The reason for the SRX is that it can be accessed via the normal
> internal network, as well as via the OOB path.
>
> Now, while I initially thought of the Avocent (Emerson) ACS 16
> porter... they are like $2k... which I think is a little expensive.
>
> Does anyone else have any recommendations on a good console/terminal
> server?
>
> Also, is anyone sitting on a pile of Cisco rollover console cables
> (RJ45 to Rj45 - NOT the DB9 ones).  I'm looking to buy a few.
>
> ...Skeeve
>
> *Skeeve Stevens - *eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
> skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com <mailto:skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com> ;
> www.eintellegonetworks.com <http://www.eintellegonetworks.com/>
>
> Phone: 1300 239 038; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve
>
> facebook.com/eintellegonetworks
> <http://facebook.com/eintellegonetworks> ; linkedin.com/in/skeeve
> <http://linkedin.com/in/skeeve>
>
> twitter.com/networkceoau <http://twitter.com/networkceoau> ; blog:
> www.network-ceo.net <http://www.network-ceo.net/>
>

> The Experts Who The Experts Call
>
> Juniper - Cisco - Cloud

/* Matt Perkins
         Direct 1300 137 379     Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
         Office 1300 133 299     matt at spectrum.com.au
         Fax    1300 133 255     Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
         SIP 1300137379 at sip.spectrum.com.au
         PGP/GNUPG Public Key can be found at  http://pgp.mit.edu
*/