[AusNOG] 20G+ Routing on the cheap

Greg M gregm at servu.net.au
Tue Aug 20 22:33:17 EST 2013

Hi All,

Just following up on this one last time as there were a number of people
interested.

We ended up with two preferred solutions:

Refurbished Cisco 4948E (with SmartNET) + 2 x Vyatta (Community Edition)
routers on Supermicro Xeon E3 blades

vs

New Brocade CER2024C-4X-RT (with Brocade on-site support).

When we did the maths on the CER2024 vs the Cisco solution, the Brocade came
out cheaper from an upfront cost (I can't disclose the Brocade pricing - but
the refurb Cisco 4948E + 2 x Xeon E3 boxes, plus SFP's, plus 10G NIC's was
more!) and in terms of performance and ongoing management it will be the
better solution by a big margin.

I am heading over to San Jose in October to set it all up (unfortunately
after AusNOG!), so I will try and do a lightning talk at next years' AusNOG
to go through the setup in more detail and share how it ended up working out
:-)

Cheers,

Greg