[AusNOG] Re Question about ESXI and importing data from a HDD

Giles Pollock glp71s at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 01:30:56 EST 2013

There is actually quite a few ways to do this, one way I've used in the
past is just getting a linux livecd to boot the VM then using DD to move
the disk image to the VMDK belonging to the VM. I believe VMWare converter
might also work, although it has been some time since I've had to do this.

Another option is to use VMWare workstation which from last check can use a
raw disk image instead of a vmdk, however this is rather inefficient on
disk space usage.

Personally I'd use the livecd approach, depending on your infrastructure
setup and access, you might be able to load the disk image into a suitable
repository, or if its a physical disk and access to the ESXi infrastructure
is a no-go, use netcat, zcat and dd to push the image across a network into
the VM itself.

Drivers shouldn't be too much of an issue, just get and install VMWare
tools once the image is transferred across and booting properly (dd the
entire disk, not just the partitions, that way you get the boot sector and
most of the time everything magically works!).

Giles