[AusNOG] 10G CPE (1RU?) recommendations?

Luke Smith luke at smith.name
Mon Aug 12 16:05:51 EST 2013

Why bother selling "CPE" to a customer? Why not drop them a fibre and let
them figure it out? As a customer I get a bit erked by Telcos insisting
that they drop some kit in my rack when I've got something that will take
the fibre directly already.

All the arguments about "we want something we own at your end so we can
troubleshoot it" seem a bit of a poor trade-off against the extra cost,
complexity and reduced reliability.

It seems to me that its just a legacy idea left over from the days when the
telco had to supply an ISDN NTU that matched their network.