[AusNOG] Application Firewall Recommendations

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 9 16:01:35 EST 2013

The issue is it's not supported by the underlying BSD packet-filter code (ie. the "pf" part of the name). Normal "linux" has this built into it I believe and uses the GRE session ID to keep a state table of PPTP sessions, eg:

=====
the older PPTP patch does NOT support masquerading
of multiple PPTP clients attempting to access the same PPTP
server. If you're trying to do this, you should take a look at your network
design and consider whether you should set up a PPTP router for your local
clients. The 2.0 patch incorporates Call-ID masquerading, which allows
multiple simultaneous sessions.

=====

Plenty of firewall DO allow multiple outbound PPTP to the same server IP, just not pfSense. When we evaluated it several years ago as a replacement for SnapGear's we tested that PPTP worked inbound and outbound (and even at the same time), we just never thought to test multiple outbound to the same server.

Would be nice to be able to NAT each internal client to their own public IP address, but I'm sure you can see the problem there :)
Bring on IPv6 to solve this as well I guess to remove the restrictions related to NAT and only having a limited number of public IP addresses available (typically a /29 for the locations we have pfsense installs).

In regard to using something more secure, yes for inbound connectivity we are typically using OpenVPN, the problem is connecting outbound to places that we have no influence over and are still using PPTP with no chance of changing any time soon.

regards,
Tony.

      over for existing stateful sessions, when the default gateway goes
      down.  We have a symetrical link plus a bunch of ADSL links at
      each of our offices, and the config should be that if one ADSL
      link goes down, we don't care, we just start sending traffic out
      the next.  Except that does not happen if someone has already
      accessed a specific website via the ADSL link which went down -
      they can no longer access that website, unless we do a full state
      reset on the firewall.