[AusNOG] Why is peering in Australia so hard?

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Sun Aug 4 16:56:24 EST 2013

True, but those small ISPs are single homed and will have quite simple
setups. Indeed a cross connect or worst case some fiber interconnect might
be relatively cheap, but peering requires talking BGP and that for a start
requires more expensive gear (lol @ megaport $500/month for 10G, cheap on
OPEX sure but a single fiber module will cost you a years worth of peering,
and a router another 5-20yrs so the CAPEX is the issue there), and then the
engineering side. I know a few small ISPs that run a bunch of l2/l3
services at a fairly reasonable scale, but with a grand total of 2
networking guys max per ISP, and across all of them only a couple of CCNAs
or similar at best.

Anyway, playing devils advocate here, personally if I was an ISP beyond
ICT/SOHO levels (so say 10k customers), I'd definitely have a national
network and probably be selling more than just DSL tail products, but
onselling interconnects to other similar/smaller ISPs who don't want to do
it themselves, and peering would play a massive role in that. I think
Megaport has mostly the right idea, especially with the free for 6 months
part, but to reach the ISPs with only a handleful of staff and maybe only 1
who knows what BGP even is... well that is more of an education and sales
thing than aforementioned technical/cost reasons.