[AusNOG] Commsday: New NSA training deck reveals servers in ANZ

Tim March march.tim at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 23:03:25 EST 2013

It's pretty cool^H^H^H^Hhorrifying how casually they drop "Show me all
the VPN startups in country X, and give me the data so I can decrypt and
discover the users" on slide 17.

I've always wondered just how much computational grunt agencies like the
NSA throw, in practice, at crypto-busting related activities. Eg, is it
a wholesale facility where strong ciphers such as AES-256 are quickly
and routinely defeated, or does it only get used when they really want
to know what's in a specific stream.

There's a bunch of private companies now producing ASIC based Bitcoin
miners that will compute aes256(aes256($x)) up to 500GH/s so it's
reasonable to assume punters like the NSA have been well ahead of this
for years.

As you say, ISOC-AU and EFA will more than likely have something to say
about it. If we really get lucky Scott Ludlam will hijack a senate
estimates hearing and we'll get to watch it on YouTube...
$SomethingAboutNiceThings =)

T.