[AusNOG] Very funny NBN skit

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 17:23:17 EST 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM, PRK <ausnog at digitaljunkie.net> wrote:

> **
>
> There are two separate aspects here, IMO:
>
> 1) Asset stranding - as Guy points out, any carrier deploying DSLAMs in
> the last couple of years should have done so with the knowledge that
> they're potentially of limited lifespan due to the NBN. Any business case
> should have taken this into account, and be at a minimum cost neutral, and
> probably with significant savings, so this isn't really an issue.

Unless they were credulous enough to believe that the NBN was not going to
happen, and were actively believing that all [Commonwealth] contracts would
be rolled back.

> 2) Network purchase - being paid big dollars for handing some network
> assets over to NBNCo or shutting them down. In this case, as Paul stated,
> only two carriers have been offered a deal, which puts them at somewhat of
> a competitive advantage in terms of a war chest for advertising / cost
> subsidising / etc.

Definitely. Assets also of debateable value. Though definitely with an
auditable book value. And perception is worth more to a listed company than
reality any day.

I had been expecting that more SPs would have been offered some sort of buy
back/compensation for their assets, too, in implementation of the NBN
policy, but given the time frames for the roll out, not paying is probably
a fair case to put.

and ADSL bonding - meh. But that's another post. I will, however, say one
word: crosstalk.

And to someone else's previous point: I would count DSLAMs as last mile
infrastructure. It's not much use for anything else!

Cheers

Narelle