[AusNOG] VPLS OSPF question

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 22:13:08 EST 2013

Hi Brad,

A bit of a "it depends" kind of question.

Do you have a VPLS setup right now, or moving towards one and wondering how to route across it ? You mention that you've currently got OSPF in your DC and the BGP into an MPLS network. Is the MPLS network provided by an SP, or you're doing that yourself ? If you're moving to VPLS, what are you hoping to gain ?

As someone else said, if using BGP you would want to have an RR setup, otherwise you need to create a full mesh (ie. each of your 200 sites would need 199 BGP sessions configured to each of the other routers -> disaster !). You'll also probably need two RR's for redundancy.

On the topic of large OSPF deployments, if you satisfy the following conditions:
- your links are reasonably stable
- you have a decent amount of bandwidth on all links
- the total number of routes is small
- routers are newish

then you would probably be able to run OSPF across 200 routers.

Taking each point in turn, the stability of links reflects how often each router will be running an OSPF calculation. One link flapping causes ALL routers to run an SPF calculation. If you have a continually flapping link this can cause issues. Bandwidth is important due to the amount of hello's and the size of the routing DB that will be transferred around on any link change. The number of routes and the number of routers are inversely related. If you have a massive number of routes being advertised then you would want a smaller number of routers in each area. If you're only advertising a single prefix from each of your 200 sites (eg. single /24) then that is the best possible option for scaling the size of OSPF. Decent router hardware today can handle a lot more OSPF routers in an area than when OSPF was first designed and the suggestion then was for a max of 30-50 routers per area due to HW limitations. CPU is used for running the OSPF algorithms, RAM
 is used to hold OSPF DB, you'll need sufficient of each in all routers as each router will be doing exactly the same thing (OSPF-wise anyway).

"Current ISP experience and Cisco testing suggest that it is unwise to
have more than about 300 routers in OSPF backbone area 0, depending on
all the other complexity factors that have been discussed. As mentioned
in the preceding note, 50 or fewer routers is the most optimal design."

( http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1763921&seqNum=6)

Breaking it up into smaller areas is probably the best idea to run OSPF. Without any knowledge of where your 200 sites are can you break it up into something like state based areas, or possibly business units ?

regards,
Tony.