[AusNOG] Understanding lack of Aus connectivity to melbournefreeuniversity.org.

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Thu Apr 11 17:46:29 EST 2013

Wouldn't they need to tell all carriage service providers. We can still
get to it via one of our other links. If we dont know we have to block
it how would we do so. Also you can add pipe to the list looks like they
are blocking it as well.

Matt.

On 11/04/13 5:42 PM, Geordie Guy wrote:

> That filter uses DNS poisoning. The more likely scenario is the AFP
> can issue direction that an ISP "take reasonable steps to uphold the
> law" and they're issued that here with an IP as the target.
>
> On 11/04/2013 5:39 PM, "Damian Guppy" <the.damo at gmail.com
> <mailto:the.damo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Given all the people saying internode / iinet works fine, and
>     their market size, I would have to think we are looking at
>     a voluntary implementation of a government filter. Which I think
>     is pretty poor form for Telstra / Optus / AAPT to be forcing their
>     (ineffective) filter onto their downstream customers without any
>     sort of acknowledgement. This is probably one of thoes things that
>     needs to blow up on whirlpool to get a real response out of
>     whoever as to what is happening.
>
>     Of course, if this is a new addition to
>     the rumored mandatory blacklist that all ISP's have to adhear to
>     it could just be iiNet havent updated their tables.
>
>     --Damian
>

>     On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Benjamin Donald-Wilson
>     <benny at thesii.org <mailto:benny at thesii.org>> wrote:
>
>         Yep, works from a friend's Internode connection in Sydney.
>

>         On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Heinz N
>         <ausnog at equisoft.com.au <mailto:ausnog at equisoft.com.au>> wrote:
>

>             On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, Benjamin Donald-Wilson wrote:
>
>                 I just got someone to check the website though his
>                 University
>                 of Queensland VPN. He says he can access it though
>                 that but not directly
>                 though his normal Bigpond internet connection.
>

>             Yeah, I can get to it through an OS Proxy & TOR network.
>             If these idiot politicians think they can stop anyone
>             getting to anywhere, they are deluded. A 12 year old could
>             get past this "block". This is what comes of having
>             clueless politicians trying to "regulate" something that
>             they have never used. They will only be happy when they
>             block /0
>

>         Yep, no doubt a 12 year old could get past the block, I'm only
>         a few years older then that.

/* Matt Perkins
         Direct 1300 137 379     Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
         Office 1300 133 299     matt at spectrum.com.au
         Fax    1300 133 255     Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
         SIP 1300137379 at sip.spectrum.com.au
         PGP/GNUPG Public Key can be found at  http://pgp.mit.edu
*/