[AusNOG] Eureka Tower 24ghz

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sat Apr 6 19:04:45 EST 2013

Actually yeah, you could be right.. The language in section 3 seems to
suggest that the only recourse for intereference is to retune your LIPD.

'as well, a device will not be afforded protection from interference
caused by other radiocommunications services (see paragraph 4 (1) (b)
and Note 1 after section 4 of this Class Licence).
Should interference occur, the onus is on the user of a LIPD to take
measures to resolve that interference, for example, by re‑tuning or
ceasing to operate the LIPD. Some LIPDs are designed so that they are
able to be re‑tuned, to assist the user in avoiding interference locally.'

AKA, it reads to me that it is suggesting that it is the affected
station which must deal with it.

However, when you then read paragraph 4(1)(b), it then puts it into
context of the interfering station.

That said, your recourse for interference is only within the class
license. If a ham radio operator (the primary licensee of the band) is
knocking your network offline for an hour every saturday night, you just
have to live with it, or choose another band (or, say, license your own
bit of spectrum, so you become the primary service) :)

Of course, the owners of LIPD's aren't much use in stopping interference
from their own devices either.. I've seen articles from WIA Vic many
times where local repeater operators have had to get Workcover involved,
to shut down LIPD's which were interfering with local repeater inputs,
but the operators were ignoring all attempts to have the LIPD moved to a
different frequency. (And workcover was able to be involved, as it could
be shown that hitting transmit on a ham rig on the same frequency was
shutting down a construction lift, crane, etc etc, making it a safety issue)

Yes, of course, you can raise it with the ACMA.. But with the stupidly
low number of RI's they employ these days, you'll wait a good year to
get some action..

Hmm, LIPD's, the bane of everyone's existence!

--DG