[AusNOG] Warrnambool Exchange Fire Investigation Report

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Apr 5 15:49:53 EST 2013

Disagree with adding suppression/gas systems all over the place.

I suspect a lesson-learnt should be to not mix network equipment rooms with general
office-type rooms in the same building, or at least the same air-circulation environment.

In general, there is very little to burn or cause fire to spread in a equipment
hosting environment - racks and concrete floors don't burn, cabling is often 'plenum
grade' which means difficult to get burning and won't keep burning when the heat is
removed. In a datacentre equipment room Its usually better to have no fire suppression
system, but lots of heat/smoke detection to get an alarm triggered, plus some portable
extinguishers near the door for people to use. A sprinkler system (even a dry-pipe
system) fired off because of some smoke from a blown power supply or fried
printed-circuit-board in a single rack would cause more damage to the rest of the
equipment in the room than if the rack was left to smoulder for a while.
I'm fine with the exchange equipment spaces having VESDA systems, and no suppression,
just like this Warrnambool exchange.

This fire started in or above an office room, filled with paper, boxes, wooden
furniture, etc - a very different type of fish from a suite of humming steel equipment
racks. The network damage was to melted cabling which was run over the office room,
plus smoke damage to the equipment hosting space as the A/C and open fire doors
allowed smoke through to the equipment spaces. While its not listed in the report,
I'll bet the VESDA system was only monitoring the equipment spaces, so by the time the
smoke drifted through to trigger it, the office room was already well ablaze.

In office spaces with lots of flammable material, absolutely have fire suppression. In
equipment rooms, don't.
And between the two - don't allow them to share air circulation systems, and keep the
bloody doors shut.