[AusNOG] News: Minister Conroy contemplating Government-Funded undersea cable?

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Sep 28 12:04:03 EST 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 11:42:23AM +1000, Sean K. Finn wrote:

 > Communications minister Stephen Conroy has threatened to fund a
 > new submarine link between Australia and the US out of the National
 > Broadband Network budget if international pricing does not fall to
 > reasonable levels.

Well, I look forward to observing the rivers (torrents?) of new investment
that'll be attracted to new trans-Pacific submarine cable projects now
that the Government has announced it'll price them out of the market.

Given that he's unlikely to be a Minister by this time next year, there
isn't a lot of point taking anything he says very seriously anymore.
He doesn't have time to do much more damage.

  - mark