[AusNOG] UK unused /8 address

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 11:43:31 EST 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Tom Paseka <tom at cloudflare.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 01:11:50AM +0000, Hallett, Ed wrote:
>>
>>  > Found this interesting snippet today..
>>  > http://blog.jgc.org/2012/09/the-uk-has-entire-unused-ipv4-8-that-is.html
>>
>> Trying to work out why this is interesting.  Nope, can't do it.
>
> Point of the article, was that its a valuable asset, that could be 'sold'.

Summary of NANOG thread:

1. It's in use - can't be sold
2. Would last 'minutes' (ok, slight exaggeration, but same concept)
3. Not visible on the 'net doesn't mean it's not in use
4. If only the effort was being spent on v6 instead
5. Repeat 1-4 many times.

These aren't the addresses we're looking for - move along ;)