[AusNOG] VDSL2, was Re: 4G advances

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Fri Oct 19 16:43:35 EST 2012

> WTF? If you're buying DSLAMs, what difference does Telstra make?

In the NBN context vs VDSL I would think that we're talking about
reaching far more of the population than those close enough to
competitive exchanges with good copper.

I was thinking 1,000s of cabinets in the street with upgraded power
and backhaul. Only Telstra or a govt. subsidy was ever going to get
that sort of VDSL down to the unlucky millions.

So yeah, I think you're taking about exchange to ISP while I'm talking
exchange to premise.

(I wasn't aware that VDSL is not allowed to be used by ISPs - that's
an interesting topic for another thread. Was it a consequence of the
NBN or concerns over the state of the copper?)

> Investment plans in access networks were iced when the NBN was
> announced, and haven't recovered since.

In retrospect, I wonder whether that's a blessing in disguise? The
longer the political dithering, the easier it is to skip a technology
step.

Mark.