[AusNOG] Telstra Cable - Static IP

Heinz N ausnog at equisoft.com.au
Wed Oct 3 15:46:12 EST 2012

Forget either Telstra or Optus (on HFC) giving you a static IP address
(especially to a residential address). I went through this a while ago.
DSL is the ONLY way of getting a static IP for some reasons that I don't
understand (why can't they set their DHCP server to send a static IP to
particular MAC addresses?). However, my experience with cable is that it
is much more reliable. If you are far from the exchange, then cable will
win hands down for speed and no dropouts. Also IMHO, Telstra is VERY
expensive for a business account. There are much cheaper ISPs out there.

You can still do reliable and secure VPN with a dynamic IP. If the server
is on a dynamic IP, use the dynamic DNS services out there (and NEVER
break the server's PPPoE session if you can avoid it: you will keep the
IP for a long time).

For various clients, I use OpenVPN in UDP mode and it can spray a reliable
VPN nicely through almost anything. I have had no problems at all. For
security, you should distribute certificates (with passwords). Even with
dodgy internet connections, it re-connects nicely and fast.

Regards,
Heinz N.