[AusNOG] Warrnambool exchange

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Nov 28 19:28:47 EST 2012

On 28/11/2012 5:12 PM, Joshua D'Alton wrote:

> Honestly I don't find much fault except that it took them more than 24 hours to move
> in any emergency gear. I don't think that is acceptable really.

Typically the fire dept control when permission can be granted for people to access
the building, once safety inspections and forensic examination has been completed. It
can often take a lot more than 24 hours for emergency services to allow access.

For a better response time than this you would need to move the emergency gear in to a
nearby location outside the building, and patch it into the external cables via
manholes outside the building. In this case that would have involved cutting through
perfectly good copper and fibre main cables, as the MDF wasn't actually damaged beyond
a bit of smoke and soot. Reterminating tens of thousands of copper pairs after cutting
through the main cables with an angle-grinder in the outside pit would have taken a
bit longer than 24 hours, I expect.

Much easier to call 'force majeure'.

P.