[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 15:09:32 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Chris Ricks
<chris.ricks at securepay.com.au> wrote:
> At present, regulation provides the imperative that Optus and Telstra
> require to peer in the fashion that they do. With that regulation
> removed, industry concern needs to be weighed against actual competitive
> concerns instead of against a mandated arrangement, surely?

The current regulation means they peer with _each_ other_ not that
they won't peer with anyone else. That happened after a long hard
court case and loads of negotiation afterwards. One of the arguments
was that the amount of traffic each way was about the same,
therefore... and that a certain large Telco beginning with T was
misusing its market power by charging others but refusing to accept
charges.

"Peer" means equal. [1]  I think you'll find if you look into the
peering arrangements overseas, especially in North America, the Big
Players don't peer with smaller players in general. Some might appear
at the big peering points, but even then it will be restricted as to
the amount of traffic they accept. Some of the big players (Comcast
perhaps?) do actually peer a lot as it lowers their own costs. It just
depends on their market share, revenues and the cost equation.

Privately, however, big players peer with each other all over the
place as it makes good economic sense.

regards

Narelle

[1] Or nobility if you take the classic English meaning, how ironic -
or apt - that is!]

--

Narelle Clark
President