[AusNOG] Q about time zones especially UTC

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Nov 23 00:31:00 EST 2012

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012, Brad Evans wrote:

> Not sure why you'd want to go +1 UTC, that's just confusing ;)  UTC works
> fine for us across our sites in US, Philippines and AU. As others have
> stated, just translate for any UI's and network engineers can just do a quick
> calculation in their head.

One thing for the *nix geeks to watch.  If the system runs in non-local
time it can be tempting for the sysadmins/engineer to set the TZ variable
as an environment variable in their account so that timestamps, 'at', etc,
are in local time for them.  This is all fine unless they elevate
privileges and restart a service.  Depending on how they do this their
root shell may inherit TZ and the service ends up running and logging in
the wrong timezone.  Stuff like this happens even in environments with a
lot of automation.

FWIW I've generally selected the timezone to recommend as a standard based
on these rules:

(1) Run all hosts controlled by the organisation in one timezone whenever
possible

(2) If all, or a large majority, of support staff are in one timezone then
use that

(3) Otherwise select a single timezone that makes sense

(4) If no other timezones makes sense, use UTC

Tracking problems across timezones is fraught with error of course. Using
a timezone local to support staff can make dealing with certain classes of
problems a little more intuitive but it isn't always feasible.

timezone changes/updates, I'd respond by saying the systems still need to
be updated/patched and some apps need to know what the time is where the
users are even if the system runs in UTC.  When Hugo Chavez decided that
Venezuela was going to have its own timezone I still had to make sure that
the systems we had in Venezuela (running in UTC) were properly patched or
stuff was going to break.

Cheers,

Rob

--