[AusNOG] Announcing the AWS Asia Pacific (Sydney) Region

ausnog (321) ausnog at 321.com.au
Wed Nov 14 11:13:23 EST 2012

Morning all,

My first impression of the rates is a bit contrary to others on this thread. Specifically,  I don’t see them as great value for data storage if you are using them for off-site storage.

Two caveats to my comment are:
-	assuming that you are using AWS for off-site backup then you just need a good NAS (we set this up as NAS with Raid 6 plus 1 spare giving 26TB usable space, good performance and resilience with option to replicate to multi datacentres/locations) in 2ru.
-	Even if you are using AWS as highly available clustered storage they are still not that well priced by our price book.

Even using their online price calculator 26TB of usable space (standard storage) costs $2,856.70pm or $34,280.40pa or $102,841.20 over 3 years and it’s not hard to do better than that.

What am I missing?