[AusNOG] Telephone Number Management Systems

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 12 13:56:09 EST 2012

>________________________________

If you have an IPv6 capable IPAM, you could reserve one of your /64 prefixes, and then use the remaining 16 digits in the 64 bit Interface Identifier field to encode the E.164 values. e.g. using the documentation IPv6 prefix, and using IPv6 /64 subnet 0xffff for your E.164 values, 2001:db8:0:ffff::618:1234:5678/64 for +618 1234 5678.

Alternatively you could generate a special use ULA for that purpose (http://www.kame.net/~suz/gen-ula.html), and to simplify things, use the 0x0000 subnet.

Another thing you could do with your IPv6 IPAM is use the IPv4 Mapped IPv6 Address format to also use it to store your IPv4 addresses e.g. for 192.168.0.0/24, the IPv4 Mapped IPv6 address form is ::ffff:192.168.0.0/120. You could use one of your /64s or a /64 from within a ULA similarly, however one advantage of using the IPv4 Mapped IPv6 Address format is that if you have the source for your IPAM you could doctor it to hide the ::ffff/96 prefix behind the user interface, so people are entering and seeing IPv4 addresses, even though in the backend database they're really IPv4 Mapped IPv6 Address prefix with a length between 96 and 128 bits. (Sure it'll use up extra disk space, but if you're counting bytes on your storage, you're already sailing too close to the wind.)