[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Sat Nov 10 10:24:31 EST 2012

On 10/11/12 7:47 AM, Mark Newton wrote:

> Why doesn't Australia's service provider industry lobby and outreach as
> effectively as InternetNZ? Why do we have a massive thread on ausnog
> about the fragility of peering over a decade after the ACCC regulated
> it, instead of having forced them to re-/de-regulate it to suit the
> modern industry? Why does the bulk of the industry vacillate and kowtow
> to the government in the face of threats ranging from censorship to data
> retention to copyright to peering to the NBN, instead of taking control
> of the issues and providing the government with the strong leadership it
> needs to avoid inflicting random disasters?
>
> Moreover: why isn't the telco industry as dominant in the field of telco
> regulation as the mining industry is in the field of mining regulation?
> Tens of billions of dollars per year pass through the employers of the
> readers of this list, yet they remain perennial victims, forever unable
> to shape their own destiny because they almost never take the fight to
> the government.
>
> Sigh.
>
>      - mark

The problem with communications in Australia is that the big end of town
have what they want. The status-quo suits them.

If a government wants to tax the mining industry, the mining industry
run adds to scare people and reduce government support.

Optus & Telstra don't need to change the rules here. They have their
interconnects, they can sell their phone calls, charge for content
in&out of their network & sell it to their customers - IT WORKS FOR THEM.

Telstra & Optus never work WITH the industry, even though they have the
most ability to effect change. It feels as though it's us vs them, it
always has been.

Until there is something of financial benefit to the bigger end of town
they will not lobby with us, or spend the money on ad campaigns, scare
tactics like the mining industry.

It's going to need support from TPG PIPE/ IINET as a minimum if it's
ever going to work. They are the modern day Connect.com & Ozemail.

What happened to that post from AusNog not long ago about a suggestion
of a message that can pop up when you're not coming from a best/(peer)
route? ha ha. That would be interesting indeed.