[AusNOG] Vocus vs. Pipe - Was: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Sat Nov 10 09:46:39 EST 2012

On 9/11/12 9:22 AM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> The one major thing the "Gang of Four" arrangement has given Australia
> is functioning domestic interconnect.  ie. the large networks all
> interconnect within Australia and do so in a way that means latency is
> sane. Am dealing with countries in other regions who actively use high
> latency (ie. sending your connectivity via another continent) as a way
> of trying to force you to buy THEIR transit product at high prices.
>
> MMC

Yes, it functions. But not efficiently, with ability to innovate as
improve on costs.

OK - so $Go4 doesn't route you around the world, but would they really?
International capacity costs real money.

Clients have REAL demands for latency sensitive IP. I wonder how many
people would be on the phone to Go4 is their ping was 180ms to customers
on internode?

Can you tell me that if you purchased Go4 IP in all states, that they
provide you with a list of BGP community tags that you can use to best
route traffic at a state level?

Do they also provide you a list of Telstra, VZB, AAPT & Optus state
community tags?

Assuming you have a full mesh, national, how can you decide what is the
best path for a Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane route out a go4 IP connection?

You can peer at a bi-lateral state level and provide your routes tagged
with an industry specified AS:xxxxn BGP Community that would be ideal
for all industry!

MPLA at national level could work, someone could step up
($insert_wholesaler_with_lots_of_intercap), peer at all state levels and
aggregate it for the small - medium content/service providers.