[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Nov 9 16:47:28 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 09:11:15PM -0800, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

 > On 08/11/2012, at 8:48 PM, Andrew Warburton <andrew.warburton at aapt.com.au> wrote:
 > > Is this the point where the conversation shifts from being a
 > productive discussion to a display of personal grudges?
 >
 > That's a bit overly sensitive.  But it's reality - the amount of
 > traffic to/from AAPT/VzB isn't that much anymore since both sold
 > off your eyeballs to iiNET.

Which was entirely my point.  AAPT was originally included in the
GoF because they were, at the time, *THE* major wholesale provider
for non-Telstra ISPs, and hence carried a very large share of
Australia's total transit capacity.

VzB wasn't included at all.  They're only in the GoF now because
Worldcom bought OzEmail, who was in the GoF because (again) they
were very, very large at the time.

Since then that situation has changed markedly.  I don't have
figures but I'd go out on a limb and say that AAPT's traffic percentage
is in the lowish single digits in percentage terms; and VzB is
almost nothing.

If the GoF was re-created today using the same criteria that the
ACCC used to formulate it in the first place, it'd include
Telstra, iiNet, TPG and Optus.

No personal grudges involved, just a statement of reality.

  - mark