[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Fri Nov 9 15:46:25 EST 2012

If AAPT are offering deals down to the $15/Mbit level I'd think reliability
is probably not a great concern, even if you were a business grade ISP.
Without knowing their exact situation it would make sense that them
charging more for transit probably wouldn't help reliability as much as
people would think. With players like Exetel iiNet and TPG gathering
transit from them, you can be fairly sure that 'transit' is still domestic
for AAPT, more than likely just to another Go4. In other words, cheap.

It is certainly needed to help reduce the number of situations where a
provider will sign with someone like NTT for their transit, terminate it in
Sydney, and let NTT do whatever they want with it after it leaves AU
shores, since by that point it is going to be high-latency regardless. And
for things like Office365 online, latency to SG really doesn't matter.