[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

James Spenceley james at vocus.com.au
Fri Nov 9 11:29:47 EST 2012

I've been involved with a few peering disputes and the ACCC. Back in 2001 (and again in 2008) we tried to have peering treated as a Declared Service by the ACCC. That would have done exactly what a few people have suggested on list, a set of defined criteria and costs.

I really don't have a strong recollection of where it failed (that was 11 years ago now) but in general it got too hard for the ACCC. They seem to understand fixed telco cost models and markets very well. That concept doesn't translate as easily into an esoteric thing like domestic peering. It is much harder to translate how a move to declared peering results in reduction in domestic Internet costs, what other costs increase and who this impacts (both) positively and negatively. With that being hard to quantify, it's very difficult to see what impact that has on competition and the consumer. At the end of the day a $1 drop in the line rental of LSS/ULL or $0.001 reduction in Local Call Termination is much easier to understand and therefore is much easier to regulate, so one would guess gets a lot more focus.

--
James