[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Fri Nov 9 11:44:01 EST 2012

>> Perhaps old skool, but perhaps we need to get a group of signatures
>> from members of the AUSNOG group. It's difficult to get one
>> person/company to make enough noise to get noticed.
>>
>> I suggest a suitable model for how it should be done be drawn up
>> first. Leaving it up to the ACCC/Government to decide clearly is a fail.
>>
>> I'm glad Conroy didn't touch it, he'd probably legislate to send all
>> our packets over his (proposed) new submarine cable and remove
>> domestic peering altogether.
>>

> Sounds like a plan to me. Personally, I quite like Simon Hackett's
> proposal in that regard - thoughts?

I assume you mean:

http://blog.internode.on.net/2011/05/16/peering-policy-gaps-nbn/
A number of points exist at which such a policy could be defined and
required of NBN service providers. These include:

	Amendments to the laws applicable to the NBN to require technically
efficient SKA peering of voice, voice local number portability and SKA
peering of data service networks between NBN service providers.

     Appropriate contractual requirements within the NBN Co wholesale
access contract that all NBN service providers must sign

     ACCC intervention, potentially via requirements for the approval of
the forthcoming NBN Co Special Access Undertaking (SAU) for the network
     A requirement for peering being included within the Telstra/NBNCo
‘side deal’ under which Telstra will be paid to shut down the copper
network as the NBN fibre network is commissioned

It's a good start, but is very NBN provider only focussed. ISP>ISP
traffic is important for commerce, however, it doesn't go into CSP's
getting the data to the ISP's efficiently.

This is what Simon mentions as bottlenecks, whereby a CSP may only
connect to Go4 at one point for cost reasons, pay for 'nationally
aggregated domestic distribution' (aka transit) but have to pay for each
and every packet in & out of their transit link.

If there were state level peering networks attached to the NBN/Go4/PIPE
content could be replicated to state POI's and delivered more
efficiently AND, well for medium - large CSP's lower cost.