[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Fri Nov 9 11:31:23 EST 2012

On 9/11/12 11:16 AM, Sam Silvester wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Luke Iggleden
> <luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au> wrote:

>>> However, it's a reasonable generalization, since it holds true 99.75% of
>>> the time.
>>>

> Hi Bill,
>
> I had a read over that, but I'm not sure that's quite what Mark was
> referring to.
>
> For example, I have about 1/3 of my peering links that are based on
> "handshake agreements", with no ratios and no financial settlement by
> either party. These links are still 'expensive' however, as I've had
> to either build out fibre to a nominated location (in my case, I'm
> then incurring duct leasing charges from the incumbent telco -
> specifically and directly attributable to that peering link), or in
> other cases I'm leasing 3rd party network capacity to reach the
> location (in this case, it's a very real $/Mbps rate for that
> peering).

Hence the need to have a number of points in each state where you can
get state-routes for each peer. If everyone agrees to meet in an
approved list of already lit buildings, this would keep the cost down.

I know in Sydney, you would probably want Equinix S1, GlobalSwitch as a
minimum. Most have existing links to there, or have a POP in those
buildings.

If you wanted to back haul it to SA (in Sam's case) that's entirely up
to the peer. If you have the demand for the routes in the state, you
probably are big enough to justify peering with.