[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 11:16:09 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Luke Iggleden
<luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au> wrote:
> On 9/11/12 9:45 AM, Bill Woodcock wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 8, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Mark Smith <markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> The assertion was peering is free / gratis / no money. That's clearly
>>> incorrect, and I don't think you need much more than a simplification to
>>> realise it.
>>

>> However, it's a reasonable generalization, since it holds true 99.75% of
>> the time.

Hi Bill,

I had a read over that, but I'm not sure that's quite what Mark was
referring to.

For example, I have about 1/3 of my peering links that are based on
"handshake agreements", with no ratios and no financial settlement by
either party. These links are still 'expensive' however, as I've had
to either build out fibre to a nominated location (in my case, I'm
then incurring duct leasing charges from the incumbent telco -
specifically and directly attributable to that peering link), or in
other cases I'm leasing 3rd party network capacity to reach the
location (in this case, it's a very real $/Mbps rate for that
peering).