[AusNOG] Domestic Peering WAS: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Fri Nov 9 10:51:38 EST 2012

On 9/11/12 10:42 AM, Chris Ricks wrote:
> Late last year, I wrote to representatives from three political parties,
> the ACCC and NBN Co on the issue of this braindead GoF arrangement.
>
> I received the following responses:
>
>   *  From Mr Conroy: Nothing
>   *  From Mr Turnbull: I was subscribed to his mailing list
>   *  From various people from The Greens: Thanks - we'll look into it!
>   *  From the ACCC: Nothing
>   *  From NBN Co: The ACCC looked at it again around 2007 and found no
>     need to review the arrangement
>
> The fact that Conroy has made zero statements on the agreement whilst
> making ignorant statements about additional submarine cable capacity
> being something he'd consider the government getting involved in shows
> that a complete examination of current market issues is simply not being
> addressed by the people who should be doing so.
>
> - Chris

Perhaps old skool, but perhaps we need to get a group of signatures from
members of the AUSNOG group. It's difficult to get one person/company to
make enough noise to get noticed.

I suggest a suitable model for how it should be done be drawn up first.
Leaving it up to the ACCC/Government to decide clearly is a fail.

I'm glad Conroy didn't touch it, he'd probably legislate to send all our
packets over his (proposed) new submarine cable and remove domestic
peering altogether.