[AusNOG] Vocus vs. Pipe - Was: Vocus peering traffic missing from PIPE-IX?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Nov 8 22:48:40 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 17:01 +1100, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> What I'm trying to do is start some discussion about what is going on
> in our industry.  So that we can share information with each other,
> and hopefully make some better informed decisions.

I can understand that, it would be good if businesses were more open and
transparent, but that's always in their commercial interest.
But now ( that James has indicated it was PIPE who decided this would
happen) however no-one is really any the wiser as to why,  but whatever
caused it happened, life is still going along happily (for most) even
there if there is an inconvenience, things happen all hte time that make
you re evaluate your interests.

> I am calling people out on their bullshit so we can all know what is
> going on.

I don't see any BS though.

> I 100% agree with some of the comments that it is their commercial
> right to do what they have done, and don't have an issue with that
> aspect.
>

> What I do have an issue with is that it makes our lives as Service
> Providers in this industry a little more complicated and expensive
> when building networks, and frankly I'd like to understand the
> thinking of the different parties as to what is going on.

That is never going to change, all Carriers and IX's are going to give
you grief at some time or another.

> I am in no way saying Pipe is 'bad' here, but I really would like to
> understand their perspective as it says a lot to me about a company in
> the way they conduct themselves in the community.

Sadly I can't see David, being the very private man he is,  making any
comment :)