[AusNOG] Vocus vs. Pipe - Was: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 8 14:01:03 EST 2012

----- Original Message -----

So the rack space, cable infrastructure, routers, electricity, 24x7 NOC etc. that you use to connect to them, *if* you qualify as a peer, is all free?

Think about it. A company spends millions of dollars on equipment and installs fibre across Australia, and is then going to let everybody use it for gratis? That's a business plan to very rapidly go out of business. I suspect the "free peering" myth has come from the days when residential ADSL offered "free Pipe". The only reason it was "free" to customers was that the ISP chose not to bill the customers for it.