[AusNOG] After Sandy Knocks Out Power, ... (huffingtonpost.com)

Damian Guppy the.damo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:02:52 EST 2012

You need to remember we are not talking about some big multinational
company here. We are talking about a bunch of cash poor startups who would
rather spend their limited funds improving their product than blowing it on
duplicating infrastructure chasing another 9

When your datacenter tells you they have all these wonderful backup
measures in place like N+1 cooling and power, diverse connectivity paths,
backup generators, onsite fuel storage for x days and refueling agreements
etc, doubling(or increasing) your infrastructure spend for the remote
chance that all that fails seems kind of wasteful.

--Damian