[AusNOG] Disaster Response best practices / summit / gathering

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Fri Nov 2 11:37:03 EST 2012

Hi Phillip,

Not intending to rain your your idea (excuse the pun) but I'm certainly more keen on hearing, on-list, what efforts Australian operators have made since AusNOG in 2011? Many may recall we had a few little regional events like the Christchurch quake, the Brisbane floods, and the Japan tsunami which highlighted then fragility of some network segments.

There were even some very thought provoking presentations about such things (for those who weren't hungover ;)

So, given we like to liberally describe what we all collectively do as 'critical infrastructure' what improvements have been made in the various Australian networking and infrastructure organisations in response to this? Has anyone taken a real hard look at themselves? Their risk profile? Has anyone changed their engineering approaches? Has anyone changed their HR models? Their support contracts? Their internal procedures?

as they say 'love to know'..

Cheers
Terry