[AusNOG] AusNOG Digest, Vol 3, Issue 53

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com
Tue May 29 20:24:47 EST 2012

Sorry Carl.  I think you are I are on slightly the different wavelength :)

The special notation included in the original posters line before is
"derivative".  Not normal product or service, but "bandwidth derivative
trading" i.e. derivative/futures contract in which you actually don't buy
and sell the product, but a derivation thereof.  Bandwidth deriviatives
markets (excluding basic future contracts) are generally the dream of
financial engineers all but snuffed out in 2001.

Bandwidth buy/sell exchanges are typically a market where people buy/sell
excess capacity, the prime product for their own use.  Not for some
derivation thereof.

Sorry if my response created some confusion.

Cheers

[b]

PS:  And yes I was jet lagged for the second time in my life at ITW :)

On 29/05/12 4:15 PM, "carl gough [mobsource]" <carl at mobsource.com> wrote:

>Bevan, You and ted must of been totally jetlagged at ITW. Did you not see
>the resurgence? Bandwidth Trading is not a new concept, but to make it
>work effectively it will have to address a couple of prerequisites to be
>successful. A network of buyers and sellers has to be created, contracted
>and connected for instant pricing, inventory management and delivery of a
>defined and standardised service. The market "is" now mature enough to
>offer such a service
>

>>Message: 10
>>Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 05:17:42 +0000
>>From: Bevan Slattery <Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com>
>>To: Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com>, Oliver Eyre
>>      <oliver.eyre at bigair.net.au>
>>Cc: "ausnog at lists.ausnog.net" <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
>>Subject: Re: [AusNOG] bandwidth trading
>>

>>> I look forward to bandwidth derivatives trading.
>>
>>Think Enron.  They did bandwidth trading (including derivatives inc.
>>mark-to-market) before their implosion.  Check out "Smartest Guys in the
>>Room".  Great doco.
>>
>>[b]

The information contained in this email and any attachments may be confidential. This email and any attachments are also subject to copyright. No part of them may be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written permission of the copyright owner. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this information is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the message from your system. All email communications to and from NEXTDC Limited are recorded for the purposes of archival and storage.