[AusNOG] Business Router

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Thu May 17 14:30:44 EST 2012

I think the rule with Mikrotik devices is, ALWAYS DEPLOY IN PAIRS!

That being said, the http://www.wifiproducts.com.au/wifi-mikrotik-webstore/RB1100AHx2___Best_and_Fastest-details.aspx
1100 AH x2  (Dual Processor) is fairly beefy at a million packets per second...

That being said, if you don't at least have a couple of these hanging around in your toolkit, theres something wrong. They are the swiss army knife of cheap-end routers.

There's even a $50 entry level device that will do BGP and MPLS (as well as OSPF, if you are so inclined).

Would I run them for something super-critical? Probably not.

Would I use them for complimentary and experimental services / proof of concept / training / learning? Abso-***-lutely!

S.