[AusNOG] IP Address Management

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+ausnog at gmail.com
Tue May 15 17:00:18 EST 2012

Hi Amante,

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Amante Alvaran <mants at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Just wanted to check if there’s anyone using the following for their IP
> Address management (IPAM) and what do you think about it? I think it’s
> useful to have than excel spreadsheets especially when you start doing IPv6
> addressing
>
> 1.       BlueCat

Thumbs down for BlueCat, I'm afraid, at least in terms of support.

Their support, both direct and through their channel, has been really
disappointing.

I recently tried to resurrect some ~2008 era BlueCat appliances that
we removed from production some time ago. I simply asked for a
temporary/time-bombed copy of their current software (the original
software was hopeless) so that I could perform an evaluation.

It all seemed too hard for them and went nowhere, so I gave up. We're
still using a customised IPplan [1].

cheers,
Dale

[1] http://iptrack.sourceforge.net/