[AusNOG] Bandwidth in Phillip Island

Paul Wallace paul.wallace at mtgi.com.au
Sat May 5 09:05:42 EST 2012

Craig -

24GHz class license in Australia has an extremely low 20dBm EIRP limit.

Also, TDD only.

I looked at the Ubiquity 24GHz solution recently & I doubt that it complies with Australian regulations.

EIRP is calculated as TX power at the antenna port
Plus antenna gain
Minus losses typically on the cable & connectors

If you look at the attachment you'll see that a one foot 23GHz dish provides around 35dBi of gain.
Therefore you comply, you'd need to limit your TX power to -15dBm (yes that's negative 15dBm)

Please ask your local Ubiquity reseller if -15dBm TX power is configurable in this model radio to be completely sure.

As someone else pointed out earlier, larger antennas offers great support in multiple ways.

However, four foot dishes @ 23GHz offer around 46dBi of gain therefore thus requiring -26dB TX power to be configured in the radio.

So .. pretty hopeless in Australia

Cheers
Paul Wallace