[AusNOG] 7301 Broadband Aggregation?

McDonald Richards macca at vocus.com.au
Tue Mar 27 16:48:13 EST 2012

Unfortunately I lacked the time machine necessary to go forward 5 years or I
would have brought back more than an ASR1K :)

Macca

From:  Matthew Moyle-Croft <mmc at mmc.com.au>
Date:  Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:16:32 +1030
To:  McDonald Richards <macca at vocus.com.au>
Cc:  "ausnog at lists.ausnog.net" <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
Subject:  Re: [AusNOG] 7301 Broadband Aggregation?

On 27/03/2012, at 4:11 PM, McDonald Richards wrote:

> We are going back a long time here, but in my experience the only ports worth
> using for ethernet on the G1 and G2 were the ones built onto the NPE
> themselves..It may have just come down to those being the only ones that
> support SFPs but I seem to recall something to do with the actual PCI bus
> being a lot slower than the interface used on the NPE to those ports.

Given the actual throughput of the 72/73 series for broadband aggregation
I'd suggest that if you're starting to optimise or worry about this aspect
then you may need to actually be considering a faster platform.

eg. ASR1k etc - especially if doing dual stack (IOS XE has better code for
IPv6 now).

MMC