[AusNOG] 7301 Broadband Aggregation?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Tue Mar 27 16:46:32 EST 2012

On 27/03/2012, at 4:11 PM, McDonald Richards wrote:

> We are going back a long time here, but in my experience the only ports worth using for ethernet on the G1 and G2 were the ones built onto the NPE themselves..It may have just come down to those being the only ones that support SFPs but I seem to recall something to do with the actual PCI bus being a lot slower than the interface used on the NPE to those ports.

Given the actual throughput of the 72/73 series for broadband aggregation I'd suggest that if you're starting to optimise or worry about this aspect then you may need to actually be considering a faster platform.

eg. ASR1k etc - especially if doing dual stack (IOS XE has better code for IPv6 now).

MMC