[AusNOG] OT: Police Wardriving. Where else but QLD!

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Mar 24 00:45:53 EST 2012

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> Unauthorised access carriers the burden that there is sufficient
> understanding or attempt to make obvious that the access is forbidden.
> For example... most people put banners on their routers saying that the
> device should not be accessed and often quotes some penalty.
>
> It would be like walking past a field... with no fences, no signs...
> there would be no reasonable assumption that the land would be private
> property and unauthorised access would not trigger.
>
> I suspect that connecting to any open access point, on purpose,
> or accidentally would easily be argued that there was no obvious 'Do not
> enter' notification - hence burden of proof would be extremely hard to
> establish.

WA's criminal code[1] says refers to restricted-access computer systems,
of which "(a) the use of a password is necessary in order to obtain access
to information stored in the system or to operate the system in some other
way; and"

So it's not a WA state crime to access open WiFi. It may be a federal
crime however, due to the expansive power of s51(v) in respect to computer
networks.

[1] Chapter XLIVA
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_act/ccaca1913252/notes.html

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |