[AusNOG] OT: Police Wardriving. Where else but QLD!

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Mar 23 13:06:54 EST 2012

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Greg Lipschitz wrote:

> If this isn't a waste of tax payer money I don't know what is!

Hi all.  Many of the comments seem to assume that police officers will be
dedicated to this.  I think it is more likely that this will be done as
part of regular police patrols.  Police already engage in a variety of
proactive activities while patrolling, and having them note the locations
of open APs in the log will be easily slotted in to their existing duties.
Even targetting specific areas is consistent with their existing duties.
During a typical shift a police crew will be tasked with patrolling a
variety of areas anyway.

Modern policing doesn't work the way most people seem to think it works.
A lot of effort goes into intel and practive activities.  If intel
suggests that open APs are related to a significant amount of criminal
activity (eg fraud) then this could indeed make sense.

The letters will presumably be sent out by public servants, so this won't
drain operational resources either.

It may or may not be a successful program but I don't think it will be a
significant drain on resources.

Cheers,

Rob (the ex Queensland copper)

--