[AusNOG] Strange BGP issues (Quagga/Zebra)

Nathan Brookfield nathan.brookfield at serversaustralia.com.au
Sun Mar 18 21:50:31 EST 2012

Hi Guys;

I'm wondering if anyone else with a full BGP feed noticed any unusual
behaviour this evening with their BGPd daemon crashing at around 2000hrs
running on the Quagga platform.  I have absolutely no explanation for it and
it occurred on two separate Vyatta boxes that take multiple full BGP feeds.

It caused the BGP Daemon to kill all of our Upstream & Downstream sessions
simultaneously and then magically 40 or so minutes later after a restart of
the daemon and one of the physical boxes not fixing the problem, it just
fixed itself and the issue completely disappeared with everything running
fine for an hour and a half now after the problem.

I have seen this issue previously with malformed communities or 4 Byte AS
Numbers but there are no known bugs I am aware of that would explain a
similar issue this evening.

During the issue BGPd would not respond to any commands on the CLI yet the
CPU on our boxes was 0.01, the only unusual symptom is of course, complete
traffic loss with no explanation.  All peers impacted were spread over
multiple routers in multiple locations and multiple NIC's.

Thanks All;

Nathan