[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Smith, Mark mark.smith at nn.com.au
Fri Mar 16 13:17:59 EST 2012

Sure, 6to4 tunnels don't need config, and I know that not all 6to4 tunnels from Australia are going via HE 6to4 tunnel servers - I used 6to4 for many years in Adelaide, and my 6to4 tunnel server was the one in Pipe in Brisbane, as it was IPv4 toplogically closest. HE don't say what types of tunnels they're counting, so I'd have assumed that they're counting configured ones, because recording and counting stateless 6to4 tunnels would be significantly harder (is receiving a single 6to4 packet once every 4 weeks a valid "tunnel" to count?). That being said, if they're counting active configured tunnels, I'm still surprised at the numbers.