[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Fri Mar 16 00:40:42 EST 2012

> > What worries me most about these is that if their service provider or
> > IT dept. helpfully shields them behind 6to4s then they're going to get
> > a nasty shock very late in the day when they finally come out of
> > hiding.
>
> Which is why many of us have been saying for years.  Turn IPv6 on and
> test everything.

This of course is unfaultable advice.

Maybe I hang around too much in the world of dreary programmers who
only think to their next paycheck. But my suspicious is that you've
done a lot more saying over the years than folk have done listening.

I raise the point because I do know first-hand that players large and
small are still writing code that assumes that v6 is "somewhere off in
the future". Heck, I'm guilty of some of that myself and I've known
about v6 for at least a decade.

All I'm really trying to say is that upgrading stacks and OSes is much
easier than upgrading applications where source code and authors are
often lost in the mists of time. Furthermore, network operators - like
those that hang out on this list - are probably much more aware of v6
than programmers scratching out a living on their b2b application.

Anyway, to MarkA's point. "Test everything" must include your business
apps, not just your networking gear. Sorry for stating the obvious.

Mark.