[AusNOG] My Predictions for the ISP Industry

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Mar 15 11:46:43 EST 2012

In message <3D393585A916FD4A96E9412D5E18CA6438429C78 at webapp65.exchange2007.myho
stedexchange.com.au>, Darren Moss writes:
> Hello Gents and Noggers,
>
> Why is this change not handled like analogue to digital radio ?
>
> Simulcast on both for testing, then once the uptake is there, shutdown the =
> old network.

It is, it's called the "dual stack migration strategy".

The trouble is that ISP, with a few exceptions, have been "jamming"
the digital frequencies by not providing IPv6 connectivity.  So it
doesn't matter what the broadcasters or receivers do.

Some talented "HAMs" get around this by sending the digital signal
over the analog band (6to4/6in4) but this is not for everyone.

Note many receivers are digital capable but are just waiting for
the jamming to be stopped and for broadcasters to turn their digital
transmitters on.

Mark